Monday 10 October 2011

The age of chivalry is not dead

Today I had to visit the osteopath, always an enjoyable outing, but what made me smile today, was the fact that as I entered the waiting room, an elderly gentleman actually stood up and said 'good afternoon', as I came in! Now that doesnt happen very often, and thats a shame. We then had a nice chat about the weather, and the magazine he was reading, I found out where he lived, how often he had been to the osteopath...ETC.
He left before me for his appointment, saying 'so very nice to meet you' as he left . Such a gentleman.
My dad is a gentleman...he always opens the car door for my mum, and waits until she's in before he shuts it, walks on the outside of the pavement when walking with a lady, and opens doors to let people through.
It must be a generation thing, and maybe in this case, the older generation are in the lead.  However, its not just  the fault of the male younger generation. Maybe the females need to become more accepting of 'chivalrous' behaviour? Go on...let him open a door for you, carry your shopping.you might grow to like it!

1 comment:

  1. Luke is a gentleman, he always holds doors open for me and he's so obsessive about walking on the outside of the pavement when we're together that it actually gets on my nerves... He always carries the shopping too, unless I'm having an 'anything you can do I can do too' sort of day :oP Xxx

    ReplyDelete